Wednesday, February 25, 2015

North Cotabato | The Breathtaking Asik-Asik Waterfalls


I left Cotabato City early in the morning to catch the double-tire jeep in Midsayap. The double-tire jeep leaves Midsayap market at around 10am then took 2 hours to reach Dado in Alamada. I am so excited to finally see the curtain like spring fall of Asik-asik.

The people of North Cotabato speak Ilonggo. From barangay Dado I took a heavy duty motorcycle/habal-habal to upper Dado. The road uphill were rough that passes through the countryside of Alamada. It was the worst habal-habal ride experience of my life. There were times where I opt to walk because anytime well get out of balance and got an accident. It was a butt trembling journey.


Approaching the jump off municipal officials and resident of Upper Dado held a meeting on how they manage the Asik-asik falls. Roads were under construction. They told me that the rough habal-habal experience is part of the adventure of going to Asik-asik.


There is also store selling beverages, coffee, snacks and souvenir items and nipa huts for those who want to stay overnight.

I stayed for a while then and a group of Midsayap locals boarded a 4WD arrived with their foreigner friend. We walk down the muddy trail heading to the falls. The makeshift bridge they constructed is destroyed by a recent typhoon and the strong current of river would not allow us to cross the other side.


The breathtaking views of Asik-asik were really worth to visit. It is one of a kind.

After spending some time I went back to the jump off point still undecided to stay overnight or go back to Midsayap. One of the locals asked my family name and it happens that his grandparents were same as mine, we are distant relatives. He invited me to stay at their home in Midsayap. I got also a free ride on his 4WD, accommodation and dinner.


The following day I travel back to Cotabato City and headed to my next destination the Lake Sebu in South Cotabato!

This is part of the 2nd leg of my solo backpacking in Mindanao.

No comments:

Post a Comment