Thursday, July 24, 2014

Southern Leyte | Town-Hopping The Towns Of Maasin, Padre Burgos And Sogod


The Eastern Visayas region is comprises of six provinces namely Leyte, Southern Leyte, Biliran, Samar, Eastern Samar and Northern Samar. My objective with this recent trip is to visit all the six provinces. It took me hard times in preparing my itinerary since I only have 5 days allotted for this. There so many interesting places this region could offer yet some traveler tend to ignore it.



Upon arriving at the Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport in Tacloban City I headed to the Van-Van’s terminal where I eat lunch in the eatery beside the terminal then after that I boarded a van bound for Maasin in Southern Leyte. Tacloban City, the regional center of Leyte and Samar, is the main gateway if you’re flying out of Manila.





My first stop is the city of Maasin in Southern Leyte. After checking in at GV Hotel I wash up then started exploring the city. I asked the hotel staff about the waterfalls in the nearby area but sad to say they don’t have any idea about it. It’s late in the afternoon though so I just spend it roaming around.

The 300 years old Maasin Cathedral was built in 1700. There is a huge painting in ceiling of the church. It is also well lighted.




Along the Espina Boulevard, locals spend their afternoon chasing the sunset and enjoying the fresh air.


On my second day I headed to the town of Padre Burgos. This is the jump off point to the island of Limasawa  this island is where Ferdinand Magellan celebrated first mass in the country.


Heavy rains welcome me and it so risky if I will push my plan of going to the island riding a boat. Instead i contended myself watching the island from afar and eating a burger I bought in the port area.


The next town I explore is Sogod in Southern Leyte. The breathtaking view of Sogod Bay blew me away. In the nearby is the Agas-Agas bridge which  is the tallest in the country. There is a zip line and cable car ride as an added attraction but due to unfavorable weather I wasn’t able to drop by instead decided to go directly to Tacloban boarded an ordinary bus with the locals. I spend my second night at Tacloban Village Townhouse.

This part of my Eastern Visayas trip series.

Budget | Southern Leyte | Samar | Northern Samar Leyte

No comments:

Post a Comment