Monday, February 9, 2015

Lanao Del Sur | The Islamic City Of Marawi


From Mukas I boarded a bus bound to Iligan City. I spend a night at famous pension house located at the back of Adventist Medical Center along Andres Bonifacio Avenue. I leave Iligan at around 5 am. From the highway I hail a habal habal to the south-bound terminal where jeepneys that fly to Marawi City embark.

Marawi City is predominantly a Muslim City which accounts for 95% of the population. Sharia criminal law exists but without stoning, amputations or other harsh Islamic punishments as they are against the law of the Philippines. The distribution of alcoholic products and gambling is forbidden and women must cover their heads. Non-Muslims though are exempted to this rule. Other than Sharia law in personal matters, these laws are not applicable elsewhere in Lanao Del Sur.
An hour of land travel finally I reach the main campus of Mindanao State University. The Lanao Lake is overlooking from the campus of the university also inside where Aga Khan Museum and King Faisal mosque. 


From MSU i took a tricycle to the Lanao Del Norte provincial capitol. I enter the capitol ground. The government building and offices were huge. There is also a mosque inside. From there I walk the nearby Marawi integrated terminal and boarded a van bound to Cotabato City.


It was a short visit to Marawi City. Some of my friends warned me that it is too dangerous there but it’s worth to take the risk to visit unfamiliar places.

This is part of the 2nd leg of my solo backpacking in Mindanao.

3 comments:

  1. just so you know sir, i am enjoying your posts...
    i am also a gov't employee but i find it hard to travel now that i have my own family...
    btw, i would love to see a follow button just so i can follow your blog and be updated :)

    good luck and keep exploring those unfamiliar rough roads...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, i was here a few years back on official business...
    our local contact also toured us around MSU and just like you, i (and my team) was treated with good food...sarap talaga ng pagkain dyan specially yung local delicacies nila...

    ReplyDelete