Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Zamboanga City | In & Out Of Asia’s Latin City


During my recent trip to Sulu archipelago I’ve been in and out of Zamboanga City. From manila it took less than two hours by air to reach Zamboanga, the main entry point if you're heading to the provinces of Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-tawi.


The design of Zamboanga airport terminal building is inspired by an iconic vinta. Straight from the airport I took a tricycle to the sea port to catch a ferry bound to Basilan.


I'm too early for the ferry schedule bound to Basilan so I roamed around the vicinity of Zamboanga City Hall and the Plaza Pershing. I tried the special batchoy of a local eatery nearby.



Right after my trip from Tawi-tawi, straight from the Zamboanga airport i headed to the ferry terminal to purchase a ticket bound to Jolo Sulu. The ferry is schedule to depart at 8 in the evening. I attempted to visit the Rio Hondo village but the military men didn’t allow me to enter. So i just go back to Fort Pilar and Paseo Del Mar and spend some time there. I’m looking for a vinta but i can’t find one.

I headed to Yakan weaving village in Brgy. Calarian to buy some malong as pasalubong for my officemates and friends. After that I go back to the ferry terminal and boarded the ship bound to Jolo.




After my Sulu trip straight from Zamboaga seaport i headed to Guiwan terminal and boarded a bus bound to Pagadian. I get off the bus in Brgy Vitali. From there I took habal-habal to visit the Merloquet Falls. Manong driver also serve as my guide. The construction of cemented pathways down to the falls is ongoing. It’s refreshing to dip in the cold waters flowing from the cascading Merloquet Falls.  Then I head back to Zamboanga City.



Zamboanga City dubbed as Asia’s atin city exudes ethnic diversity.



This is part of the 1st leg of my solo backpacking in Mindanao.


No comments:

Post a Comment