Monday, April 28, 2014

Sulu | The Unexpected Adventure



As I draft my itinerary for my Sulu archipelago trip I scrapped the idea of going to Jolo. My friend Ian convinces me to push it though. He told me that it is safe and I can do a day trip there and nearby town of Patikul.
sulu provincial capitol



As soon as I arrived in Zamboanga City from Tawi-Tawi I headed to the ferry terminal to purchase a ticket bound for Jolo, the capital town of Sulu province. There are strict security measures at the Zamboanga ferry terminal. 


I am among the early passengers that boarded the ship. The ferry departed at around 8 in the evening. I bought 2 puso and 3 hardboiled eggs for my dinner. After eating I lie down and just observing my fellow passengers. It seems that most of them are all locals of Sulu. I can’t understand their conversations so I just smile and nod at them every time they asked me i replied them in Tagalog. I’ll admit that I felt that nervousness over again and my heart is beating too fast. You know the feeling of being a total stranger. Military personnel were roaming around the ferry for security inspection.

busy street of jolo
4 am when we arrived at Jolo. It is still dark so I decided to stay for a while inside the ferry. Relatives of most of the passengers get inside to fetch them. I witness a heartfelt moments among them. It is almost 6 am when I leave the ferry. I just went out and walk directly outside the port terminal. I drop by a coffee shop. Then after that I headed to the Masjid Jammi Tulay Central Mosque. This is the biggest mosque in the province of Sulu.  I saw a boy cleaning outside and I asked permission if I could go inside and took some pictures of the mosque and he allowed me.


masjid jammi tulay central mosque


From the central mosque I ride a tricycle going to the Sulu provincial capitol which is surrounded by different kinds of flora. Its mosque inspired architectural design is also impressive. There is a museum beside it but unfortunately it is closed. I have still have a lot of time because I aborted the idea of going to the beach in the town of Patikul. I instead walk leisurely from the capitol ground going back to the town center.

national museum in sulu
I passed by Balikatan Park. There is also a shop selling bolo and knifes. Military and police men were visible in every corner. For lunch i tried the famous satti an exotic food.


I’m almost done and I decided to kill my remaining time in the ferry terminal to wait for the schedule back to Zamboanga. The management of ferry announces that they are cancelling the trip. Due to unfavorable weather conditions affecting Mindanao all ferry trips to/from Jolo Sulu were suspended.
I even tried to catch a PAL Express flight back to Zamboanga City but unfortunately it is fully booked and were 20 of us listed as chance passengers.

jolo airport
At first I can’t believe it. Of all the places that i will be stranded it would be in Jolo in Sulu, not only for one day but 3 whole days. My friends in Manila worried about my situation. Good thing there is a strong mobile signal there that I can update them from time to time on Facebook. That personal experience thought me that indeed Sulu like any other places in the Philippines is safe although I take some precautionary measures.
dorol and a native coffee


facade of the ferry terminal
satti
inside the ferry terminal building
To date I consider this as one of my memorable trip being able to survive Sulu on my own. And I am proud that i made it without a local Tausug guide.

How to get there:

Major carriers fly to Zamboanga City from Manila daily. The flight takes 1.5 hours. From Zamboanga City, take a ferry to Jolo in Sulu. The ferry departs at 8 pm on Monday, Wednesday & Friday. PAL Express also flies to Jolo Sulu every Monday, Wednesday & Friday.


This is part of the 1st leg of my solo backpacking in Mindanao.


No comments:

Post a Comment