Friday, August 15, 2014

Isabela | A Stormy Trip To Magat Dam



Despite the typhoon hitting Cagayan Valley I pushed through with my plans of travelling the north. I was in the middle of traffic jam along EDSA boarding a bus going to Victory Liner terminal in Kamias when my officemate texted me what she heard in the news. I replied to her to pray for my safety and my “bahala na si batman” attitude rules.



It was raining when I left Manila that evening. After 8 hours of traveling I safely reached Santiago City in Isabela. I eat in one of the fast-food there to fill my stomach for a day-long adventure. I strolls the city even if it’s raining. I don’t want to waste a single minute of my time.



I visited Balay Santiago then I headed to Magat dam. It is one of the largest dams in the Philippines and has two primary purposes: as a source of irrigation water and as a provider of hydroelectric power. Located along the Ifugao-Isabela border and irrigates at least 80,000 hectares of farmlands. It can generate some 380 megawatts of electricity for the Luzon grid. The dam sourced its water from Ibulao river in Ifugao and from the headwaters and rivers in Nueva Vizcaya.

The tourism complex centers on the 4,450 hectare lake created by the dam. There were picnic huts for family bonding and  facilities for fishing, boating, and various water sports like water-skiing.

How to get there:

There are buses from Cubao to Santiago City Isabela. From Santiago City take a jeep or van going to the town of Ramon. Tell the driver to drop you at the junction going to Magat dam. From the junction take a tricycle for 25.00 pesos/oneway or charter it for 125 pesos/oneway.

This is part of my Cagayan Valley trip.


Isabela | Cagayan

No comments:

Post a Comment